Sunday, June 17, 2012

Basic Vegetable and Cheese Frittata


Eggs are one of Eliana’s favorite foods. She will eat them any way they are served. I like eggs too, so I often make eggs as an easy go-to protein for our lunch during the week. Typically, I make a frittata for brunch over the weekend and, sometimes, I even make one for dinner. Eggs are relatively inexpensive, easy to cook and loved by this family so I keep a few dozen in the fridge. I typically like to buy Nature’s Yoke brand or the store brand of one of our local stores, Fairway- just as long as the eggs are “cage free.”

Basic Vegetable and Cheese Frittata
-6 egg whites and 1 egg**
-1 small yellow onion, chopped (around ½ cup)
-¼ to ½ cup cheese, shredded (I usually use a mix of parmesan and mozzarella. Or, whatever is in the fridge.)
- 1 ½ cup vegetables, chopped
-Salt, pepper, chopped garlic olive oil to taste

Heat oven to 365˚. Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and a pinch of salt.  Sauté for around 3 minutes until they start becoming translucent. Add chopped garlic and stir. Sauté for around 1 more minute. Add vegetables, a pinch more of salt and some pepper. Sauté for another 2-3 minutes so the vegetables are cooked but still a little bit firm. They will cook more in the oven. Remove pan from heat and transfer vegetable mixture to a plate so it cools slightly. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. Add cheese and mix. Add in vegetable mixture and mix with eggs and cheese. Pour into a greased 9x9 pan. Cook for 20-25 minutes until edges are golden and eggs are set.

** I typically use egg whites in my cooking. But, I throw in a whole egg (or two sometimes when I mess up while cracking the eggs into the bowl and yolk escapes the shell) for added B12. My best guess if you’re using only whole eggs is to use 4-5 eggs.

Happy Cooking!

My mom got these cute cupcake liners from Williams-Sonoma.
These are mini-frittatas I made one night. I followed the basic recipe but also added around ¼ cup of tomato sauce I had made the night before for pizza. I filled the cupcake tins about ¾ of the way full. To change them up a little bit, I sprinkled a small handful of breadcrumbs on top before I baked them.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.teenytinyfoodie.com
and update your bookmarks.